Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Deep Thoughts: Love

My pastor, Toby, always talks about how Jesus transformed the world in profound ways with extremely simple concepts. One of those concepts that has me contemplating the entire structure of my existence is love. That is the “greatest commandment”, He called it. The most important. Numero uno. Just to love. To quote one of my favorite movies, “The greatest thing you’ll ever learn is just to love, and be loved in return” (Moulin Rouge).

And, not only does He prioritize it above everything else He’s called us to, he staples a profound promise to it. “Love never fails” (1 Cor. 13:8). The Creator of the universe promises us that if we will just love like He loves, we will never fail. This is the answer. The answer to every relationship, every fight, every misunderstanding, every injury…just love.

I know, I know, easier said than done. But luckily for us, we serve a gracious God who honors our smallest, fumbled attempts to mimic the eternal floodwaters of His love. (“If his love is the ocean, we’re all sinking.”) So attempt it. Sure, clumsily, awkwardly we stumble along with our pitiful paper flowers of love, but I imagine that when you look at those construction paper flowers in someone else’s hands, they will have been transformed into a bouquet of eternal ramifications and heavenly fragrance.

1 comment:

  1. I read this again today. I really like this. It is great as I prepare to start another year of teaching - love my students, their parents, the school staff, and other workers. And then I always need to work on loving my family and friends the way God wants me to. Your analogy of the paper flowers is great.

    ReplyDelete